Public Relations Committee Action Plan
This committee devises and implements plans (1) to give the public general information about Rotary, its history, objectives, scope and events; and (2) to secure appropriate publicity for the club.
This committee includes a Chair & Vice-Chair, with the intent of the Vice-Chair assuming Chairmanship during Year Two.
Timing and Sequence
The Chair should submit news items of interest to the local media in a timely manner, with the goal of having continuous coverage throughout the year. Any necessary photographs should be acquired from Club Photographer & submitted with press releases. Tentative scheduled releases should include, at minimum, the following:
Educational Grants Awards
Fund-raising Events (Fourth of July, Auction, Pancake Breakfast)
Election of Officers
Group Study Exchange
Miscellaneous check presentations throughout the year
The club does not pay for news media coverage. Any advertising space needed for special events is typically donated as an in-kind sponsorship from local media & should be coordinated by the appropriate event committee.
The chair should send a monthly report of activity to the area chairman for report to the board.
Unique Requirements/Action Steps (Please be thorough and specific)
1. Obtain information from Club President or Committee Chairman, and photo if appropriate from Club Photographer, & send in news release format to all local media (radio, print & TV).
2. Use attached media list for current names, contacts & email addresses
3. Media List should be updated at least twice annually to check for changes in contact names or email addresses.
4. Clip copies of all media coverage & give to President for inclusion in club scrapbook.
5. Send monthly report of all activity (submissions & media coverage) to area chairman prior to monthly board meeting.